There are a number of things which you will need to take care of upon arrival.
Upon arriving in Hong Kong, you should first head directly to your assigned hall for check-in. The hall offices are open 24 hours for check-in.
Students who have applied for on-campus housing will receive the hall assignment notification email approximately 2 weeks before the start of the term.
All undergraduate exchange students are required to attend the orientation activities organized by the Global Student Programs Office. Please CLICK HERE for details.
Undergraduate exchange students will attend university orientations, complete registration procedures, and obtain the HKUST Student ID Card before the start of the academic term. Here are the steps:
- Collect your registration package at one of the Student Visa and Pre-registration Sessions.
- Complete the registration form and bring your passport and landing slip to the Academic Registry.
- Have the photo taken at the spot and obtain the HKUST Student ID Card.
School representativies will brief you how to deal with your class enrolment at the academic induction. Below are the details.
Academic induction (Spring 2017)
Date: 26 January 2017 (Thursday)
- School of Science
- SCI/HOME (Opposite to LT-B)
- School of Engineering
- School of Business and Management
- School of Humanities and Social Science
- Room 3347 (Lift 3)
Apply for an Octopus Card
The Octopus Card is a convenient, electronic stored-value card that can be used on most forms of public transport, convenience stores, and fast food restaurants. Card values can be 'topped-up' at subway stations, convenience stores, supermarkets, and many other places. On campus, add-value service is available at the cashiers in the supermarket and most of the eateries.
Full time students* aged 12 to 25 are eligible for MTR concession fares of up to 50% off normal fares by applying for an "Octopus Card with Student Status". Procedures are as follows:
- Download and complete an application form from MTR website.
- Bring the completed form with your HKUST Student ID Card to the Student Service Counter for endorsement.
- Submit the endorsed application form to the MTR Customer Service Center (following instructions on the form) in person. An application fee is required.
- Collect your Personalized Octopus Card in person, following the dates and instructions outlined in the website.
Hong Kong Identity Card
If you will be staying in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, you are required by law to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) within 30 days upon arrival. Hong Kong law requires that you carry your HKID with you at all times.
To apply for the HKID, you must apply in person at the Registration of Persons Office at the Hong Kong Immigration Department. The HKID for new arrivals are issued free of charge. Bring your passport, identity documents, and the HKUST admission letter to support your application.
Click here to visit the Hong Kong Immigration Department for details or to book an appointment online.
Register with your consulate
You are advised to contact the consulate or embassy of your home country in Hong Kong, and enquire about possible citizen registration services. Some consulates and embassies maintain mailing lists or social media accounts for keeping their citizens updated on matters that concern them.
Click here to check the contact information of your consulate or embassy.