On Arrival

There are a number of things which you will need to take care of upon arrival.

Hall Check-in

Upon arriving in Hong Kong, you should first head directly to your assigned hall for check-in. For on-campus UG Halls, check-in service is 24-hour available. For off-campus Jcokey Club Hall, check-in service is available from 8:45am to 7:00pm and 7:30pm to 10:30pm.

Students who have applied for university housing will receive the hall assignment notification email approximately 2 weeks before the start of the term.


All undergraduate exchange students are required to attend the orientation activities organized by the Office of Global Learning.

    • Welcome Events

      Orientation Session
      29 January 2019 (Tue)
      2:00pm - 3:00pm
      Lecture Theatre A

      Welcome Reception
      29 January 2019 (Tue)
      5:00pm - 6:30pm
      Conference Lodge
    • Student Visa and Pre-registration Session

      You must attend one of the sessions below before proceeding to student registration.

      Session I
      28 January 2019 (Mon)
      3:00pm - 4:00pm
      Lecture Thatre D

      Session II
      29 January 2019 (Tue)
      10:00am - 11:00am
      Lecture Thatre D


Undergraduate exchange students will attend university orientations, complete registration procedures, and obtain the HKUST Student Card before the start of the academic term. Here are the steps:

  • Students must complete the registration online prior to arrival in Hong Kong.
  • Bring your passport/travel document and landing slip to one of the Student Visa and Pre-registration Sessions.
  • Proceed to the Academic Registry after the session to obtain the HKUST Student Card.

Academic Induction

School representativies will brief you how to deal with your class enrolment at the academic induction. The sessions will take place on 29 or 30 January 2019. Please click onto the list below for the details.

    • School of Science

      29 January 2019 (Tue)
      3:00pm - 5:00pm
      SCI/HOME (Opposite to Lecture Theatre B)
    • School of Engineering

      29 January 2019 (Tue)
      3:00pm - 5:00pm
      Lecture Thatre D
    • School of Business and Management

      29 January 2019 (Tue)
      3:00pm - 5:00pm
      Lecture Theatre A
    • School of Humanities and Social Science

      29 January 2019 (Tue)
      3:00pm - 5:00pm
      Room 3301 (Lift 2)
    • Interdisciplinary Programs Office

      30 January 2019 (Wed)
      Information will be released by Interdisciplinary Programs Office directly by email.

Hong Kong Identity Card

If you will be staying in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, you are required by law to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) within 30 days upon arrival. Hong Kong law requires that you carry your HKID with you at all times.

To apply for the HKID, you must apply in person at the Registration of Persons Office at the Hong Kong Immigration Department. The HKID for new arrivals are issued free of charge. Bring your passport, identity documents, and the HKUST admission letter to support your application.

Click here to visit the Hong Kong Immigration Department for details or to book an appointment online.

Register with your consulate

You are advised to contact the consulate or embassy of your home country in Hong Kong, and enquire about possible citizen registration services. Some consulates and embassies maintain mailing lists or social media accounts for keeping their citizens updated on matters that concern them.

Click here to check the contact information of your consulate or embassy.

News & Events

News & Events