HKUST Summer Study Abroad - FAQ

1. What is the difference between exchange and partnership programs?

Students who participated in the exchange programs will be studying at the host institution as exchange students, and the exchange status will be recorded on HKUST academic transcript. Exchange programs also differ from partnership programs that the tuition fee is waived. For partnership programs, most of them are fee-paying where students need to bear all fees and costs incurred by the programs including the tuition fee, accommodation, insurance, visa, air tickets, living expenses etc. 


2. What is the difference between exchange program offered by GSPO and those offered by School of Engineering/Science? Am I allowed to apply to both programs?

GSPO and School of Engineering/Science partner with different institutions, thus offer different choice of host institutions. Moreover, programs offered by GSPO are for all undergraduate students while those offered by Schools are targeted for their students only. For details of the programs, you may refer to the individual program page HERE.

Students are eligible to apply for both the programs offered by GSPO and School given that the program requirements are fulfilled. However, you are restricted to commit to one offer only and you should note the penalty details of the School and GSPO if you decide to decline an offer or withdraw from an offer after acceptance.

For example: You have accepted an offer given by Office A, then subsequently you have an offer from Office B which you wish to accept, you must first contact Office A to withdraw your acceptance before you can accept the offer given by Office B.

3. May I know which courses can be transferred back to HKUST?

Please click here for more information.

4. Can I apply for HKUST Study Summer Abroad if I have already participated in the exchange program in Fall/Spring Term before?

We do not restrict students who have participated in the exchange program in the Fall or Spring Term from joining HKUST Summer Study Abroad program. However, you are advised to check with your corresponding School if it will affect your eligibility to apply for exchange in the regular term after having joined the summer program.

5. I am studying Year 1 now and my CGA will not be released before the deadline of Round 1. What should I do?

You should first upload your unofficial transcript downloaded from HKUST Student Information System and submit your application before the deadline. Decisions will only be made after your CGA for the first term is available.

6. I am in my final year of study. Am I eligible to apply?

Students who are in the final year of the undergraduate program are eligible to apply for HKUST Summer Study Abroad, but MUST observe the following before submitting an application.

  • You are required to NOT apply for graduation in Spring, so as to keep your student status active throughout the Summer Term. You should apply for graduation in Summer Term instead. For details, please refer to ARR’s Application for Graduation website.
  • Note that undergraduate students who complete graduation requirements in the Spring Term normally can receive their Award Certification Letter starting from mid-July. The Award Certification Letter is proof of your completion of graduation requirements. If you choose to graduate in Summer Term instead, your Award Certification Letter will not be available until after mid-September. In the meantime, it is possible for you to apply for a provisional Award Certification Letter. This, however, will only state your first major. Any other majors or minors and your honor details will not be provided on this document. While it does not delay your congregation, you are reminded to consider whether the delay in obtaining your Award Certification Letter has any negative effects on your job hunting, postgraduate studies, or other personal matters.
  • Ensure that you do not need the study abroad credits for meeting graduation requirements. There is insufficient time to process credit transfer requests in time for students to graduate in November. Note that most summer programs end in late July/August. It takes 1-2 months for host institutions to prepare transcripts, and at least one month thereafter for HKUST to process credit transfer requests. Since HKUST needs to put you on the graduation list by September in order for you to participate in the congregation in November, there will not be sufficient time for final year students to proceed with credit transfer applications for their summer programs.
  • If you do not receive a summer study abroad offer at the end, you should remember to apply for graduation in Spring.

7. Can I apply to the host institution directly?

All programs offered under HKUST Summer Study Abroad require HKUST nomination. HKUST students must apply through HKUST Global Student Programs Office. Individual direct application to the host institutions will not be accepted. Below are the privilege enjoyed by HKUST-nominated students.

  • If you are participating in one of the exchange programs organized by the University (including those organized by Schools and IPO), you will be studying at the host institution as exchange students which may give you privileges over other visiting or fee-paying students, e.g. housing guarantee and preferential fees.
  • For certain programs, students can enjoy program fee waiver and/or discount on program fees offered by the host institutions. For a list of programs offered by GSPO, please click here.
  • Eligible students can apply for both the HKUST Study Abroad Sponsorship and EDB Subsidy on Exchange for Post-Secondary Students if they apply via HKUST and are nominated by the University.

News & Events

News & Events